Tuesday 30 July 2013

Lemon & Lime Black Sesame Mini Loaves

A twist on the classic lemon and poppyseed cake - lemon, lime and black sesame seed mini loaves


I got a cute little lemon and poppy seed cake in my recent Graze box and thought "I wonder what this would be like with lemon AND lime" and then took it one step further and wondered what it would be like with my latest favourite ingredient, black sesame seeds.

Well, I've had today off work and the heavens have opened up for most of the day so thought it would be a great day to bake!
I've only ever really made chocolate cakes and Victoria sponges so after a little bit of online research and a bit of testing it out in the kitchen, I think I've cracked it!  This is a really moist cake and because of the lemon and lime it is super fresh so perfect for summer (if you can tolerate turning the oven on when the sun is blazing!)

Ok, I admit it - I like to pretend I'm on a cooking show when I make food so always weigh and measure my ingredients before I make anything.  Look how zingy the lemon and lime zest is!  The kitchen smelt GREAT when I was zesting!




Preheat your oven to 180C (fan oven).  Whisk the sugar and eggs together until the mixture is thick and a very light yellow colour.

In a separate bowl or jug mix the oil, milk, zest and lemon/lime juice together.  Don't worry - the citrus will curdle the milk but it all works out ok when you mix it with the rest of the ingredients!

Slowly add the oil/milk/citrus mixture to the sugar and egg while whisking.  Once fully combined, start to mix in the flour and baking powder.




I wanted to have a bit more of the sesame flavour so put the sesame seeds in a dry pan on a medium to high temperature for a few minutes until the oils and flavours started to come out.  Mix the sesame seeds into the batter then spoon into mini loaf tins or cases.  I was originally going to make either a giant loaf or cupcakes but saw these cases when I was shopping and couldn't resist!





Bake for 30 minutes uncovered then lightly cover with foil for another 15 minutes.  Allow to cool before getting stuck in!




You can sieve some icing sugar on top or even make an icing and lemon juice glaze but I decided to keep things basic and just left them as they came out of the oven.


Lemon, lime and black sesame seed mini loaves


Ingredients

200g caster sugar
300g plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoon black sesame seeds (or poppy seeds)
3 medium eggs
260ml milk
240g extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 lemons - zest and juice
1 lime

P.S. If you haven't tried a Graze box yet, you can get a free box here - you do have to enter payment details but can cancel at any time once you've got your free box!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...