Sunday 19 January 2014

Mexican Inspired Turkey Meatballs

Mexican inspired turkey meatballs - these low fat balls are made with coriander,cumin,chilli and onion for a Mexican twist on the classic beef recipe.

Another weekend arrives and I'm ready for another food project...I'm sure most other people who blog about food and their recipes spend a while planning what they're going to cook or blog about but I think my mind works a little differently!

During the week it's all about work - I have to have a good memory and organisational skills for my job so tend to only have that in my head and it seems to leave little space for anything else sometimes!

On Saturday morning I try to wake up as late as possible (around 7am these days...) and then think about what is happening over the weekend and what I want to cook based on what I have a taste or craving for.

This morning I woke up and had no idea what I wanted to make and the only craving I had was for my normal weekend morning breakfast (English muffin, one half with margarine, the other with margarine and strawberry jam).

I browsed all of my favourite sites for inspiration - Foodgawker, AllDishes, BBC Food...still nothing.  I thought back to the last week and what my colleague Kin cooked - he always has AMAZING food - but again, nothing.  In the end I just went to the supermarket and decided to browse the aisles.

The it hit me.  I wanted lime, coriander, spice....this calls for Mexican!

So here you go, my Mexican inspired turkey meatballs which I am having tonight with a side of nachos and plan on using the leftover meatballs for my lunches next week!


Mexican inspired turkey meatballs - these low fat balls are made with coriander,cumin,chilli and onion for a Mexican twist on the classic beef recipe.


Salsa
So easy! I only wanted a small portion for tonight so diced a tomato (got rid of the seeds so the salsa's not to watery), 5 springs of coriander including the stems, 1 slice of red onion finely diced (I'll use the rest for my lunch next week), 1/3 lime squeezed (again, rest of the lime to be used in my lunch next week!).   Mix everything together and leave in the fridge while you prepare the rest.

Mexican Turkey Meatballs

The recipe below is for a small portion of meatballs, about 10, as I wanted to save the rest of the turkey for lunches later on in the week...

Pre-heat your oven to 200C (fan oven).

Mix all of the ingredients together - it's best to do this with your hands to make sure everything gets really well combined.


Mexican inspired turkey meatballs - these low fat balls are made with coriander,cumin,chilli and onion for a Mexican twist on the classic beef recipe.


Form balls out of the mixture, about an inch and a half diameter.

Place the meatballs on a baking tray (I line mine with foil and greaseproof paper to save on washing up!)


Mexican inspired turkey meatballs - these low fat balls are made with coriander,cumin,chilli and onion for a Mexican twist on the classic beef recipe.


Bake the meatballs for about 20 minutes or until golden and cooked all of the way through.


Mexican inspired turkey meatballs - these low fat balls are made with coriander,cumin,chilli and onion for a Mexican twist on the classic beef recipe.


I didn't make a sauce to go with the meatballs but it would be really easy to make a nice tomato sauce with coriander, cumin, garlic and red onion or you could serve with seasoned cous cous, a bulgar wheat salad or just on their own as a starter of canapé.


Mexican inspired turkey meatballs - these low fat balls are made with coriander,cumin,chilli and then baked.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...